Friday, May 17, 2019

The 2nd Doctor's Handkerchief


You know, it's funny... there's always a bitter/sweet feeling after you spend time hunting and researching an item, or completing a project. After my success in tracking down the correct War Games Sonic Screwdriver was concluded, I began to miss the thrill of the chase. I felt the need to fill the void. Another challenge, another item to identify. So, I turned my attentions once again to 'My Doctor', this time focusing on his costume.


The Doctor, Jamie & Zoe try to flee from The Time Lords in episode 10 of  'The War Games'.
At 1st glance, the 2nd Doctor has probably the least complicated costumes of all his regenerations. Spotted bow-tie, tail coat, braces, check trousers and hanky. Simple eh? Well, not really to be honest. With hardly any colour reference photos after Power of the Dalek's, finding out in detail what he actually wore and visualising it in colour is tricky. How many variations of bow-tie? Brown or grey houndstooth trousers? Tail coat, morning coat, or cut-a-way jacket? What type of pocket handkerchief? Quite a few questions you see, but no easy answers. The only constant seemed to be the braces. With a keen eye for detail thanks to good reference photos from Power of The Daleks, screen grabs from Wheel in Space & Seeds of Death, I had a bash at creating my own. With care, they were easy to replicate but only after first sourcing the correct vintage button braces (see my completed version below).

My replica 2nd Doctor braces
Now I have seen some shocking versions of the 2nd Doctor's Costume over the years, either in print, or via the BBC themselves (yes Five & Two Doctors stories I am talking about you!), none more so than at the Doctor Who Experience. It was a complete mess. Nothing was right, or even a halfway attempt to get it right, just a 'that will do' attitude but if its not done right, it looks wrong. Case in point, the costume isn't a straightforward as it seems. For me out of all the items used to create the 'Cosmic Hobo' look, one of the most elusive parts of the costume has to be the hanky (which was strangely lacking at the DWE). 

So, that was my next mission decided then... to identify and purchase the correct hanky (or hankies) used during the 2nd Doctor's original '66-'69 run. Not as easy task, as clean reference photos were scarce and episodes missing. It wasn't added to Troughton's costume until a few stories into season 4 and even then it was shyly poking out of his top pocket. Full exposure wasn't until mid-way through The Ice Warriors when it was displayed hanging in the loose and casual manner we think of today as Troughton began to relax into, and developed, his characterisation. 

So where to start?‎ It was a minefield quite frankly. What were the Hankies? Were they silk or cotton? Hankies, cravats, bandannas, or pocket squares? I was getting nowhere fast for about a year... until I stumbled across some great reference photos of the screen used hanky by Julian Knott, who had not only logged the stories they were seen in but also enhanced the pictures.
 
Photos captured & enhanced by Julian Knott
The photos were all from Season 6 and I could clearly see that it was the same design of hanky used. I also went back to my DVD collection and freeze-framed certain scenes it featured in. Now I knew what I was looking at, I could identify the shapes better. I could confirm that this style of hanky also appeared in Season 5's Enemy of The World and Web of Fear. Whether different designs were used in season 4 and the missing episodes, I couldn't tell. Sadly reference material hasn't been available to date for each story, but all in all what I had was a great jumping off point for my hunt for a hanky that was certainly used by The 2nd Doctor. 

Photos from Invasion & War Games showing the colour of the hankerchief
So, onwards... Cross referencing this new information alongside the colour photos from Invasion & War Games (see left) I now knew I was looking for paisley and petals shapes on a red hanky. Not that it made it any easier! After all, I was looking for an item that had been made way back in the mid 1960's! So, that's where I focused... Gentleman's accessories ‎of 1960's.


The box of 1960's Gentleman's handkerchiefs 
After comparing what seemed like every single variation of paisley designs (and believe me there are many) against the photos Julian had posted, it took me another year before, my eagle-eyes finally spotted what I was looking for. Unbelievably, to my surprise and delight, I had found the hanky in a box of three! The link took me to ebay but there my luck ran out. The pack of three had been snatched up only a matter of weeks before. To make matters worse, I could see it was one bid and sold for a song at only £8!!! After all that time looking I couldn't believe I had narrowly missed out on owning these. (see right)


Another photo of  the 1960's Gentleman's handkerchiefs 
Once over my shock, I started to look closely at the items. I noticed that this box of hankies contained only two matching designs that in turn matched the 2nd Doctor's handkerchief. The 3rd handkerchief in the set was of a different design, but all 3 were produced in the same colours of red, green, yellow and blue. I had found the correct hankie, but I wanted one myself. So near, but so far. Still, ‎from the description compiled on the eBay listing I found out the size... and more importantly the material. Cotton! At least I had another two piece to the jigsaw that would help with my research. 


So, it was back to the drawing board. My search to that point had taken me the best part of 2 years to find a match. I knew I wouldn't be lucky finding another hanky for sale so soon. Lightning doesn't strike twice, especially after all the time I had been looking. I even tried to persuade the seller to pass on information so I could contact the buyer to ask them to sell me one. Despite even buying an unwanted item from the seller in exchange for information, he didn't want to play ball! I was demoralized but undefeated. I kept on searching... Then just 4 months later (and after spending money having a replica pattern drawn up to print my own) Bingo! I found another. I honestly couldn't believe it. I was in, quick as a flash as it was bid or 'best offer'. I'd snagged one at last.
 
My 2nd Doctor hankie with my original Eveready (Sonic Screwdriver) Penlight

This hanky had never been used and has been in the possession of the sellers grandfather. Also, just to add to a tentative Doctor Who connection (well from the 2005 series onwards), it came from Cardiff. It certainly was a match of the previous ones I had seen on ebay and, more importantly, the reference photographs that I had been using. This can be seen below in both a black & white and a colour photo of my hanky in a side by side replicated pose against one of Julian Knott's clearest reference photos.‎ 

Mine either side of the original costume hankie used by the 2nd Doctor

From the photo, I'm sure you'll agree I have, without a doubt, found THE hanky. The paisley and petal pattern match perfectly. This is 100% the design of hanky that was used by Troughton for his version of The Doctor. Job done! Mission over... Ah, yes, but as is always the way with these things, when you think you have reached the end point something else springs up, and guess what, it did! 

Another box of 1960's gentleman's hankie in a different colour combination
With the hanky still being flagged up on my eBay listings, I came across another pack of 3 in March 2019. The colours used were the same, but they had reversed the positioning of the red and the yellow in the design. The other colours and pattern however, remained the same with no variation at all. Not only that, but the design of  the two other hankies in this box also matched the 3rd one in the previous pack (above). 

The two patterns were obviously quite popular at the time and must have been produced in a variety of colours and package combinations. As for what brand this hankies were remains unknown, as both boxes were devoid of any manufacturer's name and the single one I bought had no branding either. I conclude that as the boxes are different, it seemed to be that the two common patterns were copied, or were available to use by many companies. 

The two hankies side by side. The red & yellow sections have been reversed

The only question I need an answer to now is, could the other patterned hanky design that makes up the the set in the 1st box found, have also been used by the 2nd Dr in an earlier season? As with the way of filming, duplicates of costumes are always required. S,o if the if the BBC props department bought them in bulk, would they have bought them in packs of 3 (as seen above), or as a number of single hankies? If it is the latter would they also have been of the same design?Remember, at the time these hankies, now long gone from our High Street stores, would have been an common and popular item back in the 1960's, especially with the Mod and Dandy explosion of the era. I'm sure time will tell... it usually does (as a certain Time Lord once said).

My 2nd Doctor costume, complete with hankie
I will leave this section of my blog with one final photograph. It's of the hanky now firmly in place with the rest of my 2nd Doctor costume. I'm sure you'll agree, it certainly looks 'right', especially when the photo is switched on to black & white  (go on... have a go!) 

Forgive my indulgence in including this photo, but I'm rather pleased with my replica costume and I can't think of where else to showcase it. All items you see (apart from the bobble hat) are vintage. I decided to collect pieces from between 1960-70's for an authentic look. I certainly didn't set myself an easy task. I'm not one for collecting costumes, this is the one and only time I shall do it. I suppose I've the DWE to thank for getting me started, as I knew with a bit of care their version of the 2nd Doctors costume could be bettered. As Troughton is 'my Doctor', I just wanted to do him justice. As I said at the start, this costume appears to be a simple enough design, but if a few wrong things are added, it just throws it off kilter slightly. 

That's it for this entry. Any questions, comments or additional information, are welcome, please contact me below. Feel free to post a link to this blog onto anyone you think will find it interesting, especially those who collect costumes or who are involved in the cosplay circuit.

 Many thanks!





Photos and video stills used on this site are © BBC Worldwide Ltd. The Doctor Who brand is a trademark of the BBC. No infringement is intended or implied.

9 comments:

  1. I find your research fascinating. So many interesting details that I thought would never be answered.

    You have added much to my own project, The Sonic Compendium, filling in blanks about the Second Doctor's sonic screwdriver.

    You will certainly be in the bibliography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. Please keep me updated on your project & dont forget to reference me here. I dont know if you know, but here is already two compendiums out there. Fantastic research by Brian Terranova and free to download at http://beyondkasterborous.com/rdt-era-sonic-screwdriver

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good day to you. I have an update on the Sonic Compendium I spoke of earlier. I am implementing the changes from the proofreader, adding information from Series 12, and rewriting some sections as I found much in-depth material. I plan on sending it to the printer the beginning of May.

    I have the bib entry as:

    Moone, Lee. “WAR GAMES Sonic Screwdriver - Prop Replica.” Thezeroroom.com. 2019. Retrieved from https://thezeroroomblog.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-war-games-prop-replica-for-this.html

    Thank you for your encouragement and your assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for keeping me updated. That's great. Let me know when it's out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'allo 'allo

    I have an update on the Sonic Compendium. It is finished and now available on Amazon. I have placed images of some pages on my author's page so you could have a look (can't find how to add images to the book page itself.)

    Let me know what you think.

    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B08GY8KHL8

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, a very different type of book. Wasnt expecting that at all. Love the old fashioned cover too. Good work there Dave. I'm gonna pick one up. Glad to be of help in this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic research. Thank you so much for sharing your findings. I'd love to see the full design of the Second Doctor's hanky though, 'cause I'm wondering what does the middle look like? Would be very grateful for a reference picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is weird, all jokes aside – this is the second time today that I found this blog when searching for two totally different things. Has anyone else ever done that? https://dynamichealthstaff.com/nursing-jobs-in-canada-for-indian-nurses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which way around? My blog popping up instead of your search. Nope never heard of that before. Very odd.

      Delete